As advocates for raw feeding, we wanted to take this opportunity to discuss the different aspects of this natural and species-appropriate diet for dogs - the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Raw feeding has gained popularity among pet owners for several reasons. Firstly, it offers a more natural and biologically appropriate diet for our canine friends. By providing them with raw, unprocessed food, we aim to mimic their ancestral diet, which can lead to numerous health benefits. A raw diet often results in healthier skin and coats, improved digestion, increased energy levels, and better oral health.
Here at Down Home Doodle, we recently had a memorable experience that beautifully exemplifies the goodness of raw feeding. Situated near the magnificent Manti-La Sal National Forest, a sprawling 1.4 million-acre mountain range, we had the pleasure of witnessing Elyzza and her retired Grandpa, Jeff, harvest a deer for our family and dogs. Surrounded by the breathtaking autumn scenery, this was a truly special moment. Our dogs, particularly Mr. Moose, couldn't contain their excitement as they eagerly anticipated their fresh meat snacks, sourced directly from nature.
While raw feeding has its advantages, it is important to acknowledge the challenges that come with this type of diet. Raw feeding requires careful planning, research, and a deep understanding of a dog's nutritional needs. Achieving a balanced diet that includes a variety of proteins, organs, and bones can be a daunting task. Furthermore, sourcing high-quality ingredients and ensuring food safety are crucial considerations.
One of the concerns often associated with raw feeding is the potential for bacterial contamination. Raw meat can harbor harmful bacteria like Salmonella or E. coli, which pose health risks to both dogs and humans. However, by following proper food handling procedures, sourcing from reputable suppliers, and maintaining good hygiene practices, these risks can be minimized significantly.
At Down Home Doodle, we are committed to providing our dogs with safe and high-quality raw food. We prioritize food safety protocols and take all necessary precautions to mitigate any potential risks associated with raw feeding.
As always, we encourage you to consult with your veterinarian before making any dietary changes for your furry companions. They can provide personalized guidance based on your dog's specific needs and help you navigate the world of raw feeding confidently.
If you would like to learn more about raw feeding here are some of the best resources we know:
When it comes to learning about raw feeding for dogs, there are several reputable websites that provide valuable information and resources. Here are some of the best websites to explore:
1. Raw Feeding Veterinary Society (RFVS) - The RFVS is an organization composed of veterinarians who support and promote raw feeding. Their website offers evidence-based information, guides, and resources on raw feeding for dogs. Visit: https://rfvs.info/
2. Perfectly Rawsome - Perfectly Rawsome is a comprehensive website dedicated to raw feeding. It covers topics such as transitioning to a raw diet, meal planning, sourcing ingredients, and addressing common concerns. They provide helpful guides, recipes, and educational articles. Visit: https://perfectlyrawsome.com/
3. Raw Learning - Raw Learning is an educational platform that offers courses and webinars on raw feeding for dogs. They provide in-depth information on nutrition, sourcing ingredients, balancing meals, and more. Visit: https://www.rawlearning.com/
4. Raw Fed & Nerdy - Raw Fed & Nerdy is a science-based website that focuses on raw feeding and dog nutrition. They provide research-backed articles, guides, and resources to help pet owners make informed decisions about raw feeding. Visit: https://rawfedandnerdy.com/
5. Primal Pooch - Primal Pooch offers a wealth of information on raw feeding, including guides, recipes, and tips for beginners. They cover topics such as sourcing quality ingredients, meal preparation, and transitioning to a raw diet. Visit: https://primalpooch.com/
6. Dogs Naturally Magazine - Dogs Naturally Magazine is an online publication that covers various aspects of natural dog care, including raw feeding. Their website features articles, guides, and expert advice on raw feeding, nutrition, and holistic health for dogs. Visit: https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/
Remember to always consult with a veterinarian or a qualified canine nutritionist when considering a raw diet for your dog. They can provide personalized guidance based on your dog's specific needs and ensure a balanced and safe approach to raw feeding.
Happy learning and happy raw feeding!
With warm regards,
Down Home Doodle